Accessories are the fashion savvy woman’s secret weapon to looking glamorous. They are the subtle threads that help pull a look together. Like icing on a cake, they add the final and finishing accent to make your creative presentation sublime. Whatever your accessory treasure trove consists of, make sure it punctuates your personal style and image aspirations. Your image and style speaks volumes about you. Are you aware of what you are saying?
Here are five more tips on accenting with accessories!
- Rock it like you mean it! If you are wearing an unusual/expensive/stunning piece you need to have the confidence to really make it work! I still remember Angelina Jolie at this years Oscars with her emerald drop earrings and cocktail ring. With a black strapless gown. Just stunning! In her casual outfit below, Rachel Bison’s bag in the centerpiece –its hip, funky, bold and it works because everything else in her outfit is understated. Her look, ‘funky casual.’
- Consider the full suite of accessories—jewelry, watches, shoes, purses, wallets, belts, umbrella, gloves, hats, scarves—the list is long. These are all tools that you can use to create the perfect panache to your ensemble. In the picture below, in Eva L’s ensemble its all about the cute ruffled bag but her shoes, earrings and bangles help her nail the look too. And the top, very chic and fits her impeccably. Her look, "Feminine chic."
Zoe’s neutral toned goddess dress is accented with bold black and gold strappy shoes –the statement piece here. Her clutch, earrings and bracelet and hair add the finishing touches. Her look says, ‘Bronze Goddess’
- Think ‘eyes up’. Essentially you want to use accessories to draw the eyes to your face. Read my post (LINK) on this topic.
- Don’t be afraid to use accessories as a way to express your cultural heritage. Padma Lakshmi, (Top Chef’s host) embraces her Indian heritage in the pieces she wears. Indian women love gold jewelry, African and South American women are used to beads in their heritage. Austrian crystals are renowned as are the Murano glass crafted by Italians.
- Maybe you want to consider a trademark? Remember Meryl Streep’s character in the Devil Wears Prada and her love of white Hermes scarves? She wore them in a different way everyday. Beyonce LOVES her uber size earrings. Jennifer Aniston has embraced the scarf. The ‘Gossip Girls’ killed the headband. Beyonce usually wears signature big sunglasses and big hoops as in the photo below. A lot is going on here but I like it-there’s the long layered necklace, the bag, the platform shoes. It works because she is wearing a simple white jumpsuit and matching black/white wrap left open. The look says ‘funky bohemian!’
Below her vest is almost like an accesory because it is such a signature piece and so striking. She tones it down with denim shorts and no earrings (unnusual for her). Her signature oversized sunglasses and the really strappy black sandals keep the look interesting without going over the top. This look; ‘Edgy casual’
I love big, bold necklaces—the more eclectic the better. Below are stars going all out to make a bold accessory statement with necklaces. Love Sarah Jessica Parker’s layering of multiple necklaces against her pewter hued dress–look at how they seem to make her tiny eyes pop that much more! Joy Bryant’s necklace seems to overpower her though because she is wearing too little makeup (something I wish she’d do less of–I get the natural look but she looks like she just woke up!) so it seems out of place. Liv rocks it out with a funky cluster (and lovin her shorter hair!)
So what do you want your look to say? Discover your own unique accessory style.
The Image Diva, Elan Image Management, image consulting
Accessories, look, style, image, jewelry, statement